Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Blowing It

Genesis 12:10-20

There's really no way to make what Abram did here okay. He lied (or at least didn't tell the truth), he put his beautiful wife in a very bad position, and worst of all, he didn't trust God. He blew it.

What I like about this story is that God didn't abandon Abram because of his mistakes. The reason I like it so much is because I blow it from time to time myself. I feel stupid when I realize what I've done - then I wonder what God's reaction is going to be. Is He going to leave me hanging out there all alone?

God doesn't leave us just because we make mistakes. There were consequences for Abram; his wife had been violated, he had a very uncomfortable meeting with the Pharaoh, and he was no longer welcome in Egypt. But God didn't leave Abram twisting in the wind - He was there for him. He loved Abram and He wanted to bring Abram closer to Him. He wanted Abram to realize that he could trust Him - even with big, scary issues like the Egyptians.

I'm especially thankful that God doesn't write me off when I make mistakes, when I fail to trust Him, even with what looks big and scary. I thank God that what He wants most is for me to trust Him and that He's willing to do what it takes to make that happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home