Monday, July 25, 2005

Waiting On God

Genesis 21:1-7

God didn't explain to Abraham and Sarah, nor to us, why He waited so long to fulfill His promise to them. He'd promised to give them a son, to build a nation with generations of Abraham and Sarah's descendants - and He kept His promise. He made it happen at in the time frame that He had set from the start. We don't know why this was the right time but we do know that it was God's plan that it happen at that certain time.

It took a lot of faith to wait for God to fulfill His promise on His time schedule. In fact, it took more faith than Abraham had. Abraham, a man pointed to as a giant of faith, didn't have enough faith to wait on God's timetable. And yet, even with the mess that Abraham and Sarah had made with their impatience, God still blessed them by fulfilling His promise to them.

This is an area where I really struggle. Waiting for God's timing is very difficult and I start looking for ways to force things to happen quicker. I can certainly understand how Abraham and Sarah felt. But the lesson here is that God is still there with me, still watching over me, still wanting me to trust Him, even in my impatience.

If I was really smart, I'd realize that His timing is perfect, that my timing stinks and that I should have the faith to needed to wait on the Lord. But I don't always do the smart thing and I take great comfort in the fact that He doesn't abandon me when I just don't have what it takes to wait. Thank God He doesn't get impatient with our impatience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home